Yes, they are beautiful to look at, add an unmistakable charm to the home and are lush to the touch. Rugs are all of this, and much more. However, it is not enough to simply buy a few and adorn them in your rooms – rugs need to be well looked after and cleaned regularly. If they are neglected, the quality will steadily degrade and they will soon lose their appeal. Here are some ways in which you can keep your rugs spotless :
1. Prevention is indeed better than cure. Why wait for your rug to get dirty and then go through the hassle of getting it cleaned? Take preventive measures from the beginning. Ascertain that no one steps on the rug with their shoes on or with their feet wet. Avoid eating or drinking when sitting on the rug. If there is some renovation going on in your home, roll up the rug and put it somewhere safe. If there is a dust storm outside, make sure to close the doors and windows.
2. There is no foolproof method to keep rugs clean. Take your rug outside and beat it to get the dirt out at least twice a week. You do not require any special equipment for this – just use a dry mop or broomstick.
3. Place a welcome mat at each door so it acts as a buffer for the dirt. People can clean their shoes off on these mats. Ideally, one should not step on rugs with their shoes on, but if it is absolutely unavoidable, then at least the amount of dirt will be somewhat reduced. Once the shoes are off the rug, dust it clean immediately.
4. Use a vacuum cleaner at least twice a week to thoroughly clean the rug. Make sure that the dust bag is empty and the brushes clean. You can do this yourself, or hire someone to do it for you. If there is a deep stain or some extremely stubborn dirt on the rug, it might be a good idea to let professional cleaners have a go. Let them do their job while you sit back and relax!
5. If you drop something that will leave a stain, like wine or coffee, immediately grab hold of lint-free cloth, hold it down over the affected area and press down on it for a few minutes. The cloth will soak up most of the liquid, after which you can dust away what remains of the stain. Once again, hire a professional service for stains that refuse to budge.
Pro Tip: Skip the artificial deodorizers and sprinkle some dried spices like cardamom, cinnamon, rosemary or cloves over the rug to
keep it smelling good!